Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Learning to spin....


So I decided to try my hand at spinning because I really want to knit something out of handspun. I am thinking that I will most likely knit a gift for my husband for Christmas if I can get the yarn spun and plied in time to knit something up. It will probably be an iPod Cozy or something along those lines since I'm just a beginner and I don't think I can spin enough yarn quick enough to also knit it up for a larger project.


Here is my firsrt (horrible) attempt at spinning:



Not all that great huh? It came out very thick and thin but it averaged about a DK weight so I assumed I would get a worsted weight yarn but that did NOT happen. It came out a heavy bulky. I think I need to add more twist when I'm plying. I almost gave up because it looked hideous but I was told by a friend that I need to walk before I can run and to try again so I said ok and bought a new spindle so I had a reason to spin...but then I decided, last night, to try again and see what happened on my original spindle since my new spindle won't be delivered for 3-4 more days yet and this is what I got:


Much better right?! I think so. You can definitely see the difference in thickness from the pictures. I'm so glad that I'm learning to get thinner yarn. It's still a bit thick and thin but it's varying between lace weight and thick lace weight. Not too bad right?! I assume that it will be fingering weight when I'm done with the plying but who really knows.







No comments: